Open mics give students a voice

Open+mic+nights+give+people+the+chance+to+express+themselves+in+a+variety+of+different+ways.+
Open mic nights give people the chance to express themselves in a variety of different ways.

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Emily Toro

A wooden stool sits in the foreground of a deep stage. Performers hear the sound of ice clicking against glasses and whispers in the back row. Their abdominals hurt from laughing at the witty comedian while in store for them a girl awaits to sing Whitney Houston. The lights go dim and she steps onto the creaky floorboards.

Open mic nights give people the chance to express themselves in a variety of different ways. Whether it be through singing ballads, reading haikus or strumming guitars, open mic nights give students the opportunity to share their gifts.

Iconic stars seen on television shows and listened to on the radio didn’t always perform in front of thousands of people. Taylor Swift got discovered at the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville, Tennessee. Country star Garth Brooks was also discovered at this hole in the wall, according to CBS news.

Project Write Now is a non-profit organization in Red Bank that offers open mic nights every other month, called Voices and Verses, at the Count Basie Theater.  These encourage people of all ages to share their writing. Junior Vivian DeRosa participated in poem readings at Voices and Verses in the past.

“It is empowering to go up and share your writing in a supportive and inspiring space,” DeRosa said.

The Red Bank Women’s Club also hosts open mic nights. The most recent one was held on Oct. 20. Senior Samantha LaRochelle helps organize these events as her dad helps in leading them.

“Last spring, LaRochelle had the idea to try and get area teens and pre-teens together once a month on a Friday night at the Red Bank Women’s Club for an open microphone evening,” the Asbury Park Press reported.

LaRochelle shared her thoughts regarding these nights.

“It is really awesome as not a lot of places let younger kids perform . . . It is a reason to learn new songs instead of sitting with your instrument and getting nothing done.”

Open mic nights give people the chance to “test the waters.” They can try new material, practice their craft, and have a good time. Recognition from presenting material can help people to make vital connections. A person’s recognition can help them to shape a career out of one act of courage.

The little blond girl singing in a local cafe may just so happen to become the next Taylor Swift.

About the Writer
Emily Toro, Social Media Editor
Emily is a junior from Manalapan and has been involved with the Inkblot since her freshman year. She is thrilled to be the newspaper’s social media editor for this year! Emily is also a part of Lit Mag’s staff and participates in leading class committees. While she’s not writing or capturing news, Emily can be...