NHS and NTHS induct a combined 59 new members

Blot photo by Catherine Escueta.

Catherine Escueta

Blot photo by Catherine Escueta.

Allie Beekman

The National Honor Society (NHS) and National Technical Honor Society (NTHS) inducted a total of 59 juniors and seniors on Tuesday, Dec. 5.

NHS inducted 54 students, said math teacher and adviser Justine Lane. Students completed 100 service hours, 50 leadership hours and maintained a cumulative GPA of at least a 92 in order to qualify. Once inducted, students must complete a minimum of four service hours a month, earn at least 10 points annually and pay a $15 due.

Junior and NHS inductee Liam Marshall of Sea Girt said the long application process paid off.

“It was a long and fairly confusing process at times, but since I started gathering hours early the application was easier in the end,” Marshall said. “It was definitely worth the time and hard work.”

Junior Emma Hecht of Wall acquired her service and leadership hours through numerous activities.

“I was a swim coach for both the Spring Lake Recreational Summer Swim Team and the Monmouth Barracudas Club Swim Team,” Hecht said. “I was on both Class Council and Student Government Association, I was on the Wall High School Varsity Swim, Surf, Track and Cross Country Teams, I volunteered for several CCC events and did a few other things too.”

Senior and NHS president Allison Paglia of Oceanport learned a lot from being in NHS and is excited to see the newly inducted members do the same.

I’ve learned how to engage everyone around me so that we can all work together and get something done both effectively and efficiently,” Paglia said. “The National Honor Society is something I am heavily involved in and something that is very important to me, so to see other people excited to become a part of it is awesome.”

NTHS inducted 16 students, said math teacher and adviser Scott Stengele. This is Stengele’s first year in this position after former CHS math teacher and NTHS adviser Deborah Maher relocated to Academy of Allied Health and Science.

“There was more to think of than I knew,” Stengele said. “But because it was with NHS and Ms. Lane had planned it all before, I was sort of helping with the planning rather than being fully in charge which was nice.”

Students inducted into NTHS completed eight technical service hours, wrote an essay and will compete in a SkillsUSA competition, said junior Grace McCaffrey of Middletown.

“Applying to NTHS was similar to NHS in the amount of work required,” McCaffrey said. “But the hours required for NTHS were ones that were related to a technical skill and I found these were really helpful in determining that I was on the correct career path.”

NTHS students pay $35 dues and must also pay a $100 SkillsUSA competition fee, McCaffrey said.

Overall, Lane said the night was a success despite forgetting to call a few names during the ceremony.

“I thought it went really, really well,” Lane said. “There were a few little mistakes, I certainly made the most mistakes out of anybody, but by that time you’re kind of tired and it’s a little overwhelming. You just go through it anyway, you know the little mistakes are what make it funny and memorable and sweet and it’s all okay.”