Class of 2018 hosts Gatsby-themed prom

Senior Dylan Josephson of Lincroft is crowned 2018 Prom King. Josephson won this title alongside senior and Prom Queen Jackie Geller of Manalapan.

Caelin Burgi

Caelin Burgi

Madison Beekman and Riley Forrester

The Class of 2018 hosted the annual junior and senior prom on Friday, May 11, which took place at Trump National Golf Club in Colts Neck. This year’s theme was “The Great Gatsby.”

Class of 2018 council member Caroline Savage of Brielle said the entire grade helped decide on the theme, since it was their last dance all together.

“We took a class meeting and used it to brainstorm some ideas for themes, and then we put the top two themes that we liked from that into a vote,” Savage said. “And the class voted on The Great Gatsby.”

Senior Brigid Garrett of Wall attended her final dance at CHS and had a great time.

“I love CHS dances and this is a little embarrassing, but I’ve never missed a CHS dance in my four years,” Garrett said. “I honestly had more fun at the dance than I really expected to. It was really nice to spend that time with all your friends and be all dressed up.”

Junior Liam Marshall of Sea Girt said that there were a few details that the current juniors might choose to add into next year’s prom that he wished were incorporated this year. Marshall would’ve wanted “more outdoor space and spots to take pictures,” but said he enjoyed his first CHS prom overall.

Junior Grace McCaffrey of Middletown also said she had fun at her first CHS prom.

“I loved hanging out with my friends at prom. It was really nicely decorated and there was a lot to do,” McCaffrey said.

Senior Samara Ghali of Colts Neck was the DJ at the event.

“I used songs that I thought worked at past dances and made sure to only include music that the majority would know,” Ghali said. “The requests helped a lot, too.”

At the end of the night, seniors Jackie Geller of Manalapan and Dylan Josephson of Lincroft went home as prom royalty. Geller was crowned Prom Queen and Josephson won Prom King among the six other members of the court.

If I’m being honest, I didn’t expect this at all. I remember pausing for a split second when Ms. Britto announced that I was Prom Queen because I was so shocked. Nonetheless, I was overjoyed by the love and support that the Class of 2018 has given me,” Geller said.

Josephson was just as surprised as Geller was and said he will never forget the feeling he got when his name was called.

“It feels amazing to be called prom royalty because it’s something I will always remember and a memory that I can look back on forever,” Josephson said. “I’m really thankful to the Class of 2018 for choosing me as their Prom King and I couldn’t have asked for better classmates these past four years.”