Pink Team pounces to win Color Wars

Senior and Pink Team captain Brigid Garrett of Wall, center, celebrates winning the team pie-eating competition.

Will Carragher

Will Carragher

Nicole Sestito

Senior Jackie Geller of Manalapan performed her final task as president of SGA: announcing the Pink Team’s 2018 Color Wars victory in the final seconds of the school day.

On Friday, June 1, CHS students dressed up in their teams’ colors, recited chants and participated in both sporting and non-sporting activities during Color Wars. Sporting events included 3v3 basketball, soccer, volleyball, cornhole, four square, Spikeball and sports relays. Non-sporting events included ping pong, an art challenge, KanJam, limbo, Pictionary, tech and trivia challenges, water balloon toss and a video game challenge.

For senior and Pink Team captain Izzy Cavazzoni of Wall, this year’s Color Wars “has actually been the best yet.”

Cavazzoni also spoke about how she managed her team and how she determined which member participated in which event.

“We basically just sent a doc to everyone on our team to decide who was doing what. It was a first come first serve situation,” Cavazzoni said.

Students of CHS were divided into 10 teams: red, purple, blue, yellow, orange, white, black, teal, green and pink.

Following the Pink Team in first was the Purple Team in second and the White Team in third. Three teams tied for fourth: black, green and yellow. The Teal Team placed fifth, the Orange Team sixth, the Blue Team seventh and the Red Team eighth.

Freshman Lynne Walenjus of Wall said she was surprised by her first Color Wars experience.

“It was different than I expected because everyone was more dressed up than I thought they would be and all the teams have a lot of spirit despite if they’re close with the people on their team or not,” Walenjus said.

Geller said the SGA planned for an alternative in case of rain.

SGA prepared a backup Color Wars: Thunder Wars. This was essentially a plan that allowed for the entirety of Color Wars to be indoors,” Geller said. “We wrote rules for some new indoor events as well as rearranged almost every event location to accompany the weather. Thankfully, Thunder Wars didn’t happen this year.”