Summer melts away with return of school

First day festivities include annual Italian ice truck, courtesy of the SGA

Senior+and+SGA+President+Liam+Marshall%2C+left%2C+announces+the+rest+of+the+2018-19+SGA%3A+senior+and+Vice+President+Emma+Hecht+of+Wall+and+junior+council+members+Dane+Tedder+of+Ocean%2C+Evan+Kuo+of+Tinton+Falls+and+Liam+Jamolod+of+Howell.+
Senior and SGA President Liam Marshall, left, announces the rest of the 2018-19 SGA: senior and Vice President Emma Hecht of Wall and junior council members Dane Tedder of Ocean, Evan Kuo of Tinton Falls and Liam Jamolod of Howell.

Marissa Ho

Marissa Ho

Allie Beekman and Emily Toro

In true CHS fashion, students kicked off the 2018-19 school year with welcoming activities organized by the National Honor Society (NHS) and Student Government Association (SGA).

Students ended the day with two short welcome speeches from principal James Gleason and senior and SGA president Liam Marshall of Sea Girt. To conclude his speech, Marshall announced the arrival of a Weaser’s Italian Ice truck on the back patio.

Marshall and the SGA worked throughout the summer to ensure that this CHS tradition would continue, but he said that planning with the SGA is always a fun endeavor.

“First day traditions, especially the ice truck, are always fun to coordinate,” Marshall said. “This year’s SGA’s first planned event, without assistance from last year’s, was a success.”

For seniors like Marshall, Thursday began their last year at CHS. Senior Marissa Ho of Marlboro said she can’t believe how her years in CHS have flown by.

“It kind of feels unreal. It doesn’t feel like I’ve been here that long,” Ho said. “I just want to take on every opportunity that comes my way this year,” Ho said.

On the other hand, Freshman Michele Roman of Neptune said her first day was a great start to her high school experience.

“I noticed how welcoming both the faculty and student body were to the freshmen,” Roman said. “I can already tell how great this year is going to be.”

Marshall, too, is optimistic.

“I can’t wait for another great school year!”

About the Contributors
Allie Beekman, Web Editor

Allie is a senior from Neptune and has been writing for The Inkblot since her freshman year. She has written for multiple sections and now serves as the Web Editor. Allie is also the NHS Treasurer. Outside of CHS, she dances competitively through The Dancer’s Workshop and participates in a group that reads to a blind WWII Veteran. In her free time, she likes to go to the beach and hang out with friends. Allie can be reached at [email protected]

Emily Toro, Social Media Editor

Emily is a junior from Manalapan and has been involved with the Inkblot since her freshman year. She is thrilled to be the newspaper’s social media editor for this year! Emily is also a part of Lit Mag’s staff and participates in leading class committees. While she’s not writing or capturing news, Emily can be found in pointe shoes, tutoring at her local library, interning or hanging with friends. You can catch Emily in spirit week pursuing some of her hidden talents or reach her at [email protected]

Marissa Ho, Photo Editor

Marissa Ho is a senior from Marlboro and has been involved with the Inkblot since freshman year and the photo section since sophomore year. This is her first year on the Edit Board and is relieved to have an assistant. She is also the senior class president, the vice president of the Photo/Yearbook Club, and a member of the National Art Honors Society and the LitMag. When she’s not stressing about school or her clubs, Ho can be found listening to music while baking or reading. She can reached at [email protected].