Students continue Spirit Week with Halloween

Alyssa Rasp

Juniors Vaughn Battista of Tinton Falls, Ryan Swanson of Brielle, Michael Landolfi of Tinton Falls, and Nick Chunn of Tinton Falls were just a few of the many students that entered the annual Halloween Costume Contest on Wed.

Riley Forrester

The third day of Fall Spirit Week sent students to gather around the back of the cafeteria to watch the annual Halloween Costume Contest on Wednesday, Oct. 31.

Before the Halloween parade, students in each grade ran around the halls during the daily scavenger hunt, looking for various items, the hardest to of which to find included  an Ivy League sweatshirt, pumpkin hand sanitizer and an empty Rook coffee cup. Only the senior class managed to collect all items, giving them first place.

The juniors received ten points for second place because of their failure to collect all items. The freshmen and sophomores collected the same amount of items, but the sophomores received last place due to the fact that they left items in their bin the previous day, putting the freshmen in third.

At 10:45, a line of students in costumes wrapped around the cafeteria for the Costume Contest. Points were awarded for the Most Original, Funniest, Scariest, Best Pair and Best Group costumes. The sophomores came in third with zero points, the freshmen and juniors tied for second with ten points each and the seniors won with 15 points.

Juniors Zach Weisenstein of Marlboro, Joe Matthews of Middletown, Michael LaValva of Brielle, Jack McHugh of Manasquan, Matt Emery of Ocean and Christian Falcone of Allenhurst dressed as a family and won Funniest costume, earning their grade five points. Weisenstein said they also won Best Group last year for their Wiggles costume.

“We were thinking about ideas for weeks and we came up with the family photo idea last minute. It was really cool to win funniest costume and I’m looking forward to trying for a three-peat next year,” Weisenstein said.

Senior Kathryn Jemas of West Long Branch and her boyfriend and senior Kyle Wheeler of Wall won the Best Couple costume award.

“This is the first year that we won and we’ve been in the contest for three years,” Jemas said.

Spirit Week will continue tomorrow with Trend Day and Dodgeball during lunch.