Carragher dances his way to victory at Mr. CHS

Alyssa Rasp

Students (Left to right: Elena Perez of Hazlet, Abbey Reisler of Ocean, Will Carragher of Middletown, Jill Fukushima of Tinton Falls, Naomi Littenberg of Lincroft) during Carraghers performance for the talent portion of the competition

Brigid McCarthy

Junior Will Carragher of Middletown received the crowns of both Mr. CHS and People’s Choice 2019 on Wednesday, Apr. 17, earning major Spring Spirit Week points for the Class of 2020.  

Mr. CHS is an annual pageant hosted by the Student Government Association (SGA) where male students from each class compete for spirit week points by captivating the audience with talent, humor and entertainment value.

Hungry Hungry Hippos was the lunchtime event in which the seniors placed first, followed by the freshmen, juniors, and sophomores respectively.

Carragher “had high hopes going into the competition” but said he didn’t expect to do as well as he did.

“I was so happy when Emma and Liam announced People’s Choice and that I got it,” Carragher said.  “However, Mr. CHS was a huge surprise, and everything happened so fast that I did not process everything until about ten minutes after the fact.”

Along with Carragher, senior Connor Martin of Spring Lake Heights was a favorite of the night, taking home the Kids Choice Award and winning the categories of Funniest and Most Entertaining.

The Dynamic Duo of the night was junior pair Colin Martin of Middletown and Jamie Nickerson of Tinton Falls, and the category winner for Best Presentation was sophomore Jake Polvino of Tinton Falls.

Polvino is a pageant veteran, and was crowned Mr. CHS in 2018, making him the second freshman in CHS history to earn the title.

“Last year, it was quite easy because it was my first year and there wasn’t any pressure, but this year I had to step up my game because I knew everyone would be watching me,” Polvino said. “The pressure was on but I feel like I did quite well.”

Overall, the night was described by many, Carragher included, as a success.

There was so much work put into this night, and I got such a thrill watching the acts and then finally going up to perform,” Carragher said.  “I loved every part of it.”