Quill and Scroll resumes after year-long hiatus, inducts new members

Blot photo by Alyssa Rasp

Senior Erica Sammarco of Colts Neck lights her candle using the ‘candle of truth’.

Meredith Prud'homme

On May 31, sophomores, juniors, and seniors of The Inkblot were inducted into the student journalism honor society, Quill and Scroll, in room 107 during lunch. After the honor society’s one year-long hiatus, juniors Maddy Holobinko of Monmouth Beach and Emily Toro of Manalapan brought Quill and Scroll back to life. A total of 19 students were inducted based on GPA as well as quality and quantity of journalistic work for The Inkblot.

Quill and Scroll is an international high school honor society that recognizes scholastic journalism shown by students. According to the Quill and Scroll website, over 14,104 high schools in all 50 U.S. states participate in the  society.

Toro, co-president of the CHS chapter, says she decided to bring back this honor society because of the dedication the staff and writers have towards their contributions to The Inkblot.  

“People put a lot of edits and efforts into their journalistic work and are deserving of recognition,” Toro said.

Senior Erica Sammarco of Colts Neck was inducted this Friday and believes that the reintroduction of this club is significant for the writers of The Inkblot.

“It’s important for students to be recognized for their talent and hard work; this society does that for students involved with journalism,” Sammarco said.

During the lunchtime ceremony, inductees lit each of their candles with the “candle of truth,”symbolizing each of the students’ commitment to fair and reliable journalism.

“To me, this club represents a group of individuals who strive to deliver accurate and truthful content to their school, representative of their dedicative to journalism and the school’s paper,” Toro said.

Journalism teacher and adviser Wayne Woolley hopes that the new members continue to grow their dedication to The Inkblot.  

“I’m excited that Quill and Scroll has new members and I hope that as a honor society, the members of Quill and Scroll redouble their efforts to support The Inkblot, InkTV and Inkblot web,” Woolley said.