Students weigh in on how their attire affects their mood

Creative commons photo by mentatdgt from Pexels

According to image consultant Julie Zanes, what you wear can affect not only your emotions, but how you perform in your day to day activities. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Ella Lukowiak and Isabella Ji

“I have nothing to wear!” Almost everyone has whined this phrase at some point while hastily flipping through their closet, searching for the ideal outfit. Whether it is sweatpants or a dress that makes you radiate confidence throughout the day, students have all contemplated the often difficult decision of what to wear. Through changing outfits every day, one may find that their daily mood is affected by this choice. In a survey of 103 students from Oct. 14 to Oct. 28, 82.5 percent of students believed that their outfit had an effect on their mood.

According to image consultant Julie Zanes, what you wear can affect not only your emotions, but how you perform in your day to day activities.

When you look good, you feel good and you perform at a much higher level in your personal and professional life,” Zanes said.

For Sophomore Elle Kumpf of Sea Girt, her outfit choice can boost her daily confidence.

“When I’m wearing a good outfit, I feel ready to conquer the day,” Kumpf said.

On the other hand, daily outfit choices can also reflect students’ low confidence.

Sophomore Emma Burnell from Wall Township said that wearing baggy clothes reduces her confidence.

“When I wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt to school, I feel less sure of myself,” Burnell said.

According to a 2012 study conducted by the University of Hertfordshire, 57 percent of women wear sweatpants when they are feeling depressed, whereas only 2 percent wear them when they are feeling happy. The study also reveals that when wearing baggy clothes, women tend to feel less confident.

In addition, the study reveals that 62 percent of women tend to wear their favorite dress when feeling happy.

“‘Happy clothes tend to be those that are flattering, well-tailored and made from bright and beautiful fabrics,” said Karen Pine, a professor of Psychology at the University of Hertfordshire.

Aside from affecting one’s daily mood, outfit choices can also increase stress levels due to the rush and time crunch during morning hours.

Choosing an outfit can make mornings for Junior Francesca McCaffery of West Long Branch more stressful than necessary.

“There have been times where I have changed over five times,” McCaffery said. “A lot of times I have an outfit picked the night before in order to be less stressed.” 

Sophomore Carla Vreeland of Matawan agrees that planning in advance can help relieve some of her stress regarding outfit choices.

“When I plan the outfit in advance it makes me feel less stressed the day of,” Vreeland said.

Whether you are used to a comfy pair of sweats in the morning, or a bold jumpsuit and high heels, each individual has their own unique style. 

Senior Riley Rademacher of Wall Township agrees with this and explains how as co-head of the Fashion Show this year, she encourages her models to wear what will make them feel their best. 

“[It] could mean trying something bold that’s out of their comfort zone or it could mean staying in their comfort zone; it is all about what they feel most confident in,” Rademacher said.

“I feel like a good outfit is different for everyone,” Kumpf said, “It’s whatever makes you feel confident when you wear it.”