Virtual teaching faces challenges

Mrs. Clevenger is part of a handful of teachers who teach students virtually and discuss the difficulties of virtual teaching.

PHOTO COURTESY OF GINNY CLEVENGER

Brandon Kopp

The world has run into many unprecedented situations over the last year, with virtual instruction in schools being one of the most prominent ones. CHS began the 2020-2021 school year fully virtual, but switched to a hybrid schedule in October.

In the hybrid schedule, half of the students attend school on Mondays and Tuesdays while the other half attends on Thursdays and Fridays. Most teachers go to school all four of those days, and the entire school is home for a half-day on Wednesdays. But, some students and teachers have opted to not return to the CHS building and stay on a fully virtual schedule.

Fitness teacher Ginny Clevenger decided to remain teaching from home.

“Let me be clear. I didn’t want to teach from home, but circumstances determined that it would be prudent of me to limit contact with others,” Clevenger said. “I miss many things but mostly interacting with and just chatting with students…”

Freshman Jordan Juliano of Long Branch is one of Clevenger’s students and thinks that while he would certainly prefer if his teacher was in the CHS building, his education and learning process is mostly unchanged. 

“I would probably be learning better [if Clevenger was in person] since there would be a teacher in front of me,” Juliano said. “It is less awkward to talk to a teacher when they are right in front of you, and easier to have a personal connection.”

Although this year is different than most, students have explained that they are still learning, regardless of if the teacher is physically with them. Students and teachers alike hope that by next year, CHS can go back to in-person learning.

“Thankfully, I had time to bond with everyone in person last year before we went remote in March,” Clevenger said. “I got to know the freshmen this year, but there was no face to face bonding, which I will remedy next year!”