A Slice of Pi Day at CHS

Sophomores+Jonathan+Slovak+and+Ebbie+Shim+were+pied+in+the+face+on+Monday.+

Sophomores Jonathan Slovak and Ebbie Shim were ‘pied’ in the face on Monday.

Audrey Wilenta

CHS students celebrated Pi Day on Monday, March 14,  by attending a Pi Day Workshop and watching two classmates get pie thrown in their faces.

Pi Day is celebrated on March 14 each year around the world, corresponding with the first three digits of pi, 3.14.

Seniors Emma McCaffrey of Middletown and Laura Murphy of Hazlet held a Pi Day workshop for students this year. The event, organized through NTHS, featured math-related games like sudoku and finding the circumference and diameters of circles.

McCaffery and Murphy brought in pies for the workshop and senior Jess Stansfield of Wall and calculus teacher Deb Maher also donated pies. At the end of the workshop senior Sarah Takash of Brielle won her own personal pie for knowing the most digits of pi, according to McCaffrey.

The purpose of the workshop was to teach students a little more about pi, and of course, also to eat some delicious pie,” McCaffrey said. “We had more people than expected, and everyone had a lot of fun.”

Another Pi Day festivity allowed each class and club to choose candidates, one girl and one boy, to volunteer to potentially be pied for a fundraiser hosted by fitness teacher Ginny Clevenger and the Class of 2017.

The student body cast votes at 25 cents apiece the week before Pi Day, and whichever students raised the most money “won” the pie and selected a CHS class or club to receive their winnings. Fifty percent of the “non-winners” money went to the same Class or club that won.

Sophomores Ebbie Shim and Jon Slovak, both of Spring Lake Heights, received the most votes. They were pied during lunch activity.

Shim, the president of the Class of 2018, said she volunteered “to get money for my grade,” but also because “I really wanted to get pied.” Shim said the sophomore class will put the money into their class fund, where they are saving up for senior year T-shirts.

“I volunteered to get pied because I love pie and in my mind it seemed like a good idea to have it smashed in my face,” Slovak said.

“It’s just a fun day for appreciating math and eating pie,” Shim said.