NAHS travels to the MoMA

NAHS travels to the MoMA

Junior Cailey Ruderman of Marlboro views a 1992 Roy Lichtenstein piece titled

Junior Cailey Ruderman of Marlboro views a 1992 Roy Lichtenstein piece titled "Interior with Mobile."

Sarah McNey

Sarah McNey

Sarah McNey

Sarah McNey and Cailey Ruderman

Members of the National Art Honors Society (NAHS) took a trip to the Museum of Modern Art in New York City on Nov. 21.

A group of 40 students and four chaperones arrived at 10:30 a.m. as the exhibits opened and they explored the museum until 2 p.m.

This was the NAHS’ first trip to the MoMA since art teacher Shelley Ortner became the club’s adviser. In past years, students visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum.

“This is such a hot trip every year, no matter where we go. Students want to go to the art museums,” Ortner said.

This year, Ortner said, the trip was in especially high demand because of the contemporary pieces on display in the MoMA.

“The museum itself is a favorite among students in general,” Ortner said. “They like modern art over classical.”

At the museum, students were able to view a recently added exhibit titled “Items: Is Fashion Modern?” that opened in October this year, displaying 111 items. Senior Maura DeRose of Middletown said she enjoyed the unique approach of the display.

“I loved how the exhibit showcased the iconic items that most people will own iterations of in their lifetime, such as Levi’s 501s, Ray-Ban aviators, and Burberry trench coats, rather than one of a kind couture fashion,” DeRose said.

Junior Kail Ying of Manalapan attended the trip and said that his favorite part of the museum was the new Stephen Shore exhibit. The exhibit opened on Nov. 19 and displayed the entire collection of photographer Stephen Shore’s work.

“His vintage American style of photography really spoke to me,” Ying said. “I learned so much and it inspired me to create.”

About the Contributors
Sarah McNey, Editor-in-Chief

Sarah McNey is a senior from Freehold. After three years of writing for The Inkblot, she is honored to serve as one of this year’s Editors-in-Chief....

Cailey Ruderman, News Editor

Cailey Ruderman is a senior from Marlboro. She started writing for The Inkblot her sophomore year and served as Assistant News Editor her junior year....