SGA Elections for the 2023-2024 School Year

BLOT PHOTO BY Brianna Driver

CHS elects junior Justin Longo of Middletown as the 2023-2024 SGA President.

Andrew Seckular

Early on the morning of Monday, May 15 CHS students gathered in the cafeteria for one of the many end of year traditions: election speeches for the Student Government Association (SGA). Shortly after, the ballot was sent out to freshmen, sophomores and juniors to cast their votes for next year’s SGA council.

Although the number of candidates did not result in the need for primaries, this ballot was the finale of a long process. Each candidate had the opportunity to converse with their fellow students in an event dubbed “Meet the Candidates” last Monday, May 8 during lunch. Following this, candidates hung up their posters around the school for everyone to see and sent out schoolwide announcements, explaining their policies and what they each had to offer to CHS. 

After a long and suspenseful day, current SGA vice president and senior Charlie Raynor of Ocean reported the results around 2:15 p.m. The SGA council for the 2023-2024 school year will include freshman Shawn Ribeiro of West Long Branch, sophomore Phin Whedon of Wall Township and sophomore Stella Feinstein of Asbury Park. The vice president will be junior Sabrina Liding of Freehold and the president will be junior Justin Longo of Middletown. 

Cheering could be evidently heard around the school. One cause of this could be a shocking result of the first freshman candidate to win an SGA bid in many years. Even running against nine other council candidates, Shawn Ribeiro beat candidates in all grades with his promises to unite the CHS community in a rallying speech.

Everyone is very hopeful to see what this new, promising council brings for CHS next year.

“I’m super excited and really grateful for this opportunity and I can’t wait to get started,” Ribeiro said.