Lit Mag attends Dodge Poetry Festival

Seniors, from left, Vivian DeRosa of Ocean, Michelle Moroses of Wall, Kaitlyn Hammond of Wall and Merina Spaltro of Allentown were four of the students who attended the Dodge Poetry Festival.

Marissa Ho

Marissa Ho

Jeff Busold

The Literary Magazine club attended the Dodge Poetry Festival in Newark on Friday, Oct. 19, where they saw a variety of famous poets and heard readings of their work. Technology teacher and Literary Magazine adviser Laura Gesin chaperoned the trip.

The selection process for the event was more involved than the typical “first come, first serve” sign up order, said senior and Literary Magazine Editor-in-Chief Connor Martin of Spring Lake Heights.

“The Editors-in-Chief work with Ms. Gesin to select a group of the most active participants in Literary Magazine,” Martin said. “This includes our largest contributors, students with standout talent, editorial staff, as well as students we believe would get the most benefit from attendance.”

Those who attended had the opportunity to interact with famous poets and writers such as Sandra Cisneros, Jericho Brown and many others through Q-and-A sessions held during the festival.

“It’s a great opportunity to engage with the larger writing and poetry community,” Martin said.

Sophomore Catherine Procyk of Colts Neck, a photographer for the club, said she enjoyed her time at the event.

“I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect but overall it was a good experience,” Procyk said. “All of the poets had a lot of passion and it was very inspiring for anyone with creative goals.”

Sophomore and Literary Magazine editor Brigid McCarthy of Manasquan said she was deeply moved by the festival.

“This trip changed my life and my perspective. I had lived my whole life thinking I could never be successful with my writing, and here I was watching all these poets who had won national awards, published successful books, who work at universities,” McCarthy said. “I’ve honestly never felt so inspired in my life.”

About the Photographer
Marissa Ho, Photo Editor

Marissa Ho is a senior from Marlboro and has been involved with the Inkblot since freshman year and the photo section since sophomore year. This is her first year on the Edit Board and is relieved to have an assistant. She is also the senior class president, the vice president of the Photo/Yearbook Club, and a member of the National Art Honors Society and the LitMag. When she’s not stressing about school or her clubs, Ho can be found listening to music while baking or reading. She can reached at [email protected].